Thursday, November 24, 2011

What's in a Name?

So earlier today, Sara over at 2000 Dollar Wedding wrote an interesting post on hyphenated last names.

This got me thinking about my own personal opinions on the name game when it comes to marriage and children. Ultimately I think it is vital for each couple to decide what is best for their family and situation. So my following comments aren't meant to judge or promote one way or the other. I'm just working through my own thoughts and beliefs on this subject...


  1. Part of me feels that if hyphenation became the standard in the US, it plays into the subliminal messaging that interracial marriages are wrong. We already deal with this on census and demographic identification forms (what's up with "white (non-hispanic)" and "a mix of 2 or more races (non-hispanic)"?), I'd hate for it to be part of the getting married name game thing too. You see, hyphenation sounds great when you are blending 2 names from the same racial background like Bradford-Becker. But Oukwa-Parker or Schultz-Alaniz, doesn't sound so good :-/ 
  2. That being said, there are always exceptions... my Mexican mom wasn't born with a middle name so when she married my white dad she made her maiden name her middle. To me it sounds ok, but of course I've heard it my whole life.
  3. In a way, I professionally have followed that example. I mean I legally changed my name to Parker and dropped my maiden Schultz, and my kids will be Parkers too. But professionally I go by Sebrina Parker Schultz. For me, it was a logical decision since I started my business as a Schultz and Parker can actually be a middle name.
  4. Legally changing my name though was an automatic for me. I have always believed that subliminally, retaining one's maiden name just makes it easier for divorce and doesn't uphold the sanctity of marriage. I am not trying to judge anyone who has kept their maiden name, that's just how I felt for me.
  5. As regards the man changing his name, that actually does hit close to home. My husband likes to say he's related to no other Parkers because his great-great-grandfather was a Plovachek or something. And when he came to the US, he married a Parker and took her name. But she died before they had any kids. So his second wife became a Parker too, and they passed that name on even though they genetically were not Parkers :)
  6. Which brings me to the fun idea of both husband and wife taking on a new last name. The coolest idea I have found regarding this is what Brit & Mike Höllenbräu did! They wanted a name that was unique and pertained to their heritage, so the created their own and it is possibly the coolest sounding last name I have ever heard :)
  7. Our traditions of name changing are specific to here in the US. Other countries and cultures have all sorts of name customs and these can be fun to explore and experiment with. My Spaniard-Mexican grandfather's family used to name their sons based on both parents last names. I honestly cannot say if this is a Mexican or Spanish tradition but it is kind of similar to today's hyphenation thing. But my great-great-grandfather was the son of Julian Garcia and Maria Barola Cavazos, so his name was Pedro Cavazos Garcia. I have a friend who is Congolese and per their tradition she was given her grandmother's maiden name.
  8. In the end, I don't feel bad that my kids will have my husband's last name and not my maiden one. The way I see it is, I will have the privilege of our babies growing inside me for 9 months. In comparison it seems only fair that my husband has the privilege of passing on his name :)
I know that was a lot and kinda random but I just wanted to share what was on my mind regarding this subject :) How do you guys feel about it?

1 comment:

  1. I think changing my name to share my husband’s will be pretty easy for me too, when time comes. I think it won’t really change who I am or take over my identity. However, I would discuss it with my partner to be sure that it’s what we both want. It will also give us time to prepare for all the legal stuff that’s needed for name changing.

    -- Kimora Avery

    ReplyDelete