Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Digging out Skeletons and Airing Dirty Laundry

You thought this was going to be a post about something scandalous by that title, didn't you? Sorry to disappoint but that was to be taken completely literal.
One of my major flaws as a homemaker is my disdain for laundry. I hate every aspect of it and therefore we have been living amidst piles of clothes for the past year :-/ can't believe I just admitted that O_O



I have had ideas for resolving this situation such as with my Essential Wardrobe List, but nothing has seemed to stick. Well since we moved, the situation just got worse and worse because not only were many of my clothes still in boxes or bags but I have also gained weight and have had to buy new better fitting clothes. It got to the point that I was frustrated with the mess and once that happens it only a matter of moments before I set forth to rectify.
That moment came this morning when Luke wakes me up at 15 till 6:00 by tripping over clothes on his pile of bed. This triggers that switch and I knew I had to cancel my plans for today and buckle down and deal with our laundry. Now of course I went back to sleep for a couple more hours, but come 9:00 I was rearing to start sorting armed with Rubbermaid tubs, black trash bags, and my wardrobe list.
By the time 2:30 rolled around I had successfully sorted through all clean clothes (including those in dressers and closets), completed another 2 loads of laundry and purged my wardrobe down to well fitting necessities with the items I hope to get back into filling two tubs and a 3/4 full trash bag of items to donate. Now it was time to address the 2 huge black bags and box of clothes that had been taking up most the room in my closet. 
As you can see this was literally a full day project. But I was able to find a bunch of never before seen articles that must have been given to me right before we were moving. They fit and look great so thanks to whoever passed them onto me and sorry I totally cannot remember this.
When all was said and done, I have 3 tubs of clothes to revamp my wardrobe once I lose the 40lbs I am working toward via Weight Watchers, a gigantic black bag of clothes to be donated, and an organized supply of only clothes I will actually wear. Plus for the first time ever, all my hanging clothes fit within half of the closet and my dressers have 4 free drawers for Luke (and the ones with clothes aren't even stuffed!) Back in my single days, all my dresser drawers were so stuffed they could barely open and close. I am quite proud of myself, indeed.
(Hey Mom! Look, it's actually empty!)


Next project: Organizing my office and craft room.



No comments:

Post a Comment