Friday, January 6, 2012

Seriously, 2012!

So the last 2 weeks have been pretty rough for us...
First we were robbed on the 24th.
Then we got a flat tire in my parent's car on the 28th and the spare was flat too so we had to wait for assistance from AAA.
The irony was almost too much when exactly one week later on the 4th when we got a flat too! And I didn't have a 4-way with me so we also had to wait for assistance.
But the real cherry was what happened today....

After a pretty enjoyable day in service we finished up at 3 and met back up at the hall. Luke decided to ride home with a friend since I had some errands to run. So there I am turning left from Terrell to Wesley and proceeded down the left lane. I wasn't texting, looking down or even messing with my ipod (I had found my song at the red light). I'm not even 100 ft down Wesley when this minivan pulls right out in front of me from Brookshire's. I knew I didn't have enough distance so I laid on my horn and slammed on the breaks. Then the impact came.
My car died on impact and the guy didn't even stop. He just kept completing his turn which increased his damage. Fortunately he did stop after a bit and I was able to turn my car back on and pull into the turning lane. I was so shaken up and my chest instantly felt bruised from my seatbelt. My airbag didn't deploy and every item in my car flew forward and entangled me.
I was so mad when I got out of my car and I started to ask the guy why he cut me off and quickly realized he didn't speak any English and his passenger was his mentally handicap son so he wasn't much help either. The old man honestly shouldn't have been driving at all because it was like interacting with my Alzheimer's grandfather :-/
Fortunately the car who had been next to me pulled over and they walked over. It turned out to be the sweetest couple and the husband was a fireman. They were the best witnesses possible.
The police showed up in no time and Luke came back to meet me.
In the end the other guy got the ticket for failure to yield and I can file a claim with his insurance once I get the police report on Wednesday.
The best part of it all was that as Luke says, "The guy cut Nina off and she made him pay." My ghetto old Saturn managed to TOTAL the side of his minivan. The driver door couldn't even open and my little car only got a dent and some scratches in the bumper. A minor ding in the hood and a broken day light running late, Nothing else. So I am very thankful to Jehovah that it turned out as well as it did.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad it was not any worse! I got rear-ended not too long ago and the only thing that was damaged was my nerves. Now I am paranoid that people are going to hit me instead of stop.

    ReplyDelete