Monday, January 9, 2012

Vintage Wedding Dress Refashion: The hunt

So as soon as I came across this gorgeous refashioned dress on Where Did U Get That, I knew I wanted something  like it!
The most mentioned that the dress was originally an 80's wedding dress with puff sleeves. I've totally seen that kind of dress a million times at thrift stores so I thought it would be an easy find.

WRONG!
Of course when you are looking for something you'll never find it. After trying to Goodwills, Craigslist, and my local Freecycle chapter I was feeling very disheartened.
Finally today I went to check out the local My Sister's Closet. This store hadn't failed me before. I mean I seriously live in a pair of sweater clogs I found their for $3 back in the fall :) Well when I walked in I saw NO DRESSES! So I just did my usual book run and as I checked out decided to just ask if they ever have vintage wedding dresses. To my pleasant surprise the lady said they keep them in the back and took me to see their selection.
Sure enough they had several 70's and 80's gown and one with the exact same bottom as I was hoping for! When I asked the price she told me $20 which was what I was anticipating spending. But when we went to the register she decided to give it to me for $15. I was over the moon!
Ready to see it???
Don't you just love the dramarama of that skirt?!
I also picked up a $3 purse for the rings that I will use to attach the straps. This was a real score because it also had a big metal lobster clip that I plan to use on a future project (a diy macabi skirt knockoff) 
So my plans for it are as follows:
  • Cut out the back and create a soft low scoop
  • Remove the collar and sleeves and possibly the bust ruffle
  • Stitch in a seam across the front to create a faux waistband and convert the bodice in to a triangle halter
  • Add long ribbon straps with metal rings
  • Possibly shorten or add some form of bustling system
  • Dye it!
I have less than 2 weeks to finish it for our cruise so stay tuned for updates :)

2 comments:

  1. did you ever find who made this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure who the original was made by but it was spotted at Shareen Vintage IN NYC {http://www.shareen.com/}. Elsie Larson of A Beautiful Mess designed a similar one for the band Sucre {http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2012/03/a-very-special-collaboration.html}. Hope that helps if you are looking to purchase something similar! :)

      Delete