Tuesday, June 7, 2011

22 Before 22: #14 Master cooking a gourmet 5 course meal


Now that we have moved to a bigger space and are mostly settled in, I have decided to start planning my 5 course dinner party. I still need to work out the guest list but I know I want to design custom handkerchiefs as the invitations.




For the tablescape I plan to use the new 8 person vintage yellow dinner set I picked up at a yard sale for $18. The pattern is very similar to the plate here...
If we decide to have more than 8 people then I can mix and match the set with my contemporary white one  for an eclectic look that serves 15. Of course I'l have to figure out a bigger table situation by then... although I'm leaning towards using 2 of those regular banquet tables slid together to form a big square.  Here are my tablescape inspiration photos so far...
1. 2. 3. 4.
I have also started researching the timeline and selecting my menu and recipes of choice...
First Course: Hors D'oeuvres
Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Shrimp


Second Course: House Salad
This will be a salad of my own variety. It will feature red onions marinated in lemon juice, pepperoncini peppers, feta cheese, and a homemade garlic vinaigrette dressing  per Maureen Evans recipe as found on page 89 of her Eat Tweet cookbook.
Third Course: Soup
Tortellini Soup - although I add italian seasoning and oregano to mine... it is so yummy!
Palate Cleanser: Lime Sorbet
Forth Course: Main Entree with Sides


When invited, guests will have a choice of poultry or beef. The two entrees will consist of...
Mediterranean Cornish Hen stuffed and served on a bed of rice and Sirloin Steak with Garlic Butter or Hollandaise Sauce. The Sides would consist of Roasted Red Potatoes, Steamed AsparagusParmesan Eggplant, and Garlic Sauteed Spinach.
Palate Cleanser: Lime Sorbet
Fifth Course: Dessert
Poached Pears with Caramel Drizzle
As an added treat, I will send each guest home with a jar of dump cake... yum indeed!
All and all, I'm thinking of planning this food feast for Labor Day weekend but I'll keep ya'll posted on the plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment