Monday, February 21, 2011

Alternative Vs. Hipster

So my life-long best friend is in town this week and we got into a discussion of "Hipsterism" last night. Apparently she has never heard of this despite coming from Boston O_O So we were trying to explain that Hipsters are people in our age group who strive to be alternative for the sake of being alternative and have an attitude that makes you want to punch them in the face.

In our quest to better explain this, I found two fantastic articles: How to be a Hipster and How to be Alternative Without Being a 'Hipster'.

Now I will be the first one to admit that I teeter on the line of being a Hipster and at points in my life I was in fact one. I am truly sorry for anyone who I made feel like crap in my pursuit to make myself feel cool :(
This is now something I struggle with regularly since I am a creative person and professional artist. I am naturally drawn to singer/songwriter music and indie-style bands like Belle & Sebastian and enjoy reading and watching indie movies (yes Everything is Illuminated is on my fave 5 list). And I do find great pleasure in knowing obscure facts which are often provided by the Vlogbrothers. So how do I continue to enjoy the things I love while not falling into the snare of Hipsterdom? :-/

Well that's where I found article How to be Alternative Without Being a 'Hipster' so insightful. Because it highlighted that in the end Hipsters are defined by their attitude. So to be a little different without being hipster involves (quoted article below):

1. Be passionate about things! One of the biggest "hipster" qualities is that they have the look of not caring about anything. So love something, and be proud of loving it and sticking to it. (I am totally passionate about things... ask my husband and my friends. They purposely enjoy pushing my buttons to see me get wound up about the topics that I possibly care too much about but just can't help it.)
2.Smile. Show your joy, happiness rubs off on people, and people will definitely like you better if you're rubbing happiness all over them. (While I am not the most cheery person ever -forgive me that I happen to struggle with anxiety and depression - I do try to be smiley and happy in public. Luke even notes that I put on my fake cheerful voice when talking to strangers and on the phone. So that should count for something, right?)
3. Try to both consume *AND* create! If you are into the art world. (Oh I consume all right! I have hope and ideals of recycling and conserving our energy and I know how all right but I'm just to plain lazy to actually implement real changes. The best I can do is reuse whatever I can for craft projects.)
4. Don't be too proud, it turns people off. (I have prideful moments, but I also struggle with self esteem issues and hate braggarts so I surely hope I don't come across as a proud individual.)
5. Pick clothes for their daring qualities, but only pick things you like! Be creative with your outfits. (I have unique elements of clothing but most often put on whatever fits and is closest, little thought goes into my wardrobe after the initial purchase so I can't say I am any sort of fashionista.)
6. Most importantly, don't judge. You can learn something from everyone, and everyone isn't what they seem. (I try to live behind the motto of "don't judge" so hopefully this point applies to me. I wholeheartedly know that there is something to be learned from everyone and that you are never too old or smart to learn new things. Every job and opportunity is a learning experience.)


Maybe in this pursuit to defend my non-hipsterness, I am in fact committing a hipsteresk act. I do not know. But I just wanted to get that off my chest :)


Oh and if you have done so already via my twitter feed check out my latest work project Balch Springs Unbound!



No comments:

Post a Comment