Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Bluum: April & May Box Review

For a month now, I have been meaning to post my review for April's Bluum box. Time got away from me and now my May box has come in so I'll just review both at the same time.

Bluum sent me an amazing box in April! At a retail value of $57 ($49 from Amazon), this box was totally worth the $9 I had spent on it and even made up for March's box. I can honestly say I loved every item I received in it :)

Playtex Baby - Ventair - Bottle 6oz - $4.49
3 pack available on Amazon for $13.47 With all of the bottles out there, it can feel like a daunting task to choose the right bottle for your baby, but it's easy to trust Playtex.
This came right when we were dealing with Minion's colic issues and had decided to start supplementing one of his night feedings (more on that later) so I was anxious to give it a try. Minion is pretty easy going and will happily take any bottle we offer him as long as it has my milk or his favorite formula in it (yes, he has a preference!). So I can't say this bottle was a magic worker compared to the others we have. But it was nice to add another bottle to the rotation since I always keep one in my auxiliary diaper bag and we use one every night now.
Tea Collection - Baby Hat - Four Square Sky - $10.00
Similar available with a blanket for $34.95 
Babies always bring a certain freshness and vibrancy with them, and no one knows how to bring freshness and vibrancy to children's clothing like Tea Collection!
We haven't gotten to use this adorable hat yet because it's too big. But it is so soft and cute that I know it will get a lot of use :)

Priddy Books - Hello Baby Baby Grip - $5.99
Available on Amazon for $5.39
Your child's eyes are improving every day, but high contrast colors remain the clearest visuals for them. The Hello Baby board book taps into the importance of this visual stimulation.
I was actually planning on making Minion some high contrast flash cards the same day this came in so it was perfect timing. We've had fun reading it over and over again.
Perseus Books - The Stay-At-Home Survival Guide - $17.00
Available on Amazon for $11.87
In the waning days of your pregnancy, you're likely considering how life will be different once your little bundle of joy finally makes their arrival! The Stay-at-Home Survival Guide is here to help you sort through the range of changes and challenges you may encounter on the next step of your parental journey.
I have not had the opportunity to start this book since my extracurricular reading time is gone. But it definitely sounds interesting and I look forward to giving it a shot.
Klorane - Dry Shampoo - $19.50
Available on Amazon for $21.95
What Mommy can't benefit from the convenience of Klorane's Dry Shampoo? In every stage of parenthood, the grueling schedule means that sometimes your in-and-out shower didn't quite cut it (if you make it to the shower at all!). We are THRILLED to be featuring it as our Mommy Product of the Month.
I love dry shampoo and was so excited to try a premium brand. I've used this stuff and its pretty great and is way more absorbent than some other brands I've tried.

Overall Impression for April: This box blew me away and restored my faith in Bluum. Everything we got was perfect for us and totally useful! :)

Now for my May box which just came in so I haven't had as long to test everything, here's what we got:
Flap Happy - Boys Swim Diapers - Size S - $17.00
Similar available on eBay for $11.65
As you gear up for summer by spending more and more time outside, it's great to be prepared for unplanned trips to the pool (or maybe just the chance of turning on the sprinkler?). This swim diaper, with its elastic legs and waterproof cover, will keep your child's water play experience fun!
I think it's so funny that this was included in my box since I just bought 2 swim diapers for Minion this Summer from My Pool Pal and i play. It actually works out perfect that we got these because Minion's first swim adventure will be for our 3-day convention in July. Now I won't have to worry about washing them each night at the hotel but can rinse and toss them in a wet bag for washing when we get home. Having multiples is also not a big deal since we want to expose Minion to as much water as possible this Summer since we were both water babies :)


Sticky Bellies - Happiest Holidays: Baby's First Holidays - $14.00
Available on Amazon for $12
A new baby means lots of "firsts" - first time they sleep through the night, first time they try solid foods - and the first time they look adorable in a Valentine's Day outfit! Memorialize all of those firsts with this adorable set of First Holiday stickers!
I love the idea of Sticky Bellies stickers but I wish these had been the monthly ones. Since we don't celebrate holidays, we will get absolutely no use out of these :(
7th Heaven - Mud Mask - White Thai Mud, Detox Mud, & Miracle Mud - $2.99/ea
Available on Amazon for $5.99+
For all the time you spend trying to keep your little one clean, it's hard to believe it could feel so good to rub mud all over your face - but it will! Go on - rub that revitalizing mud all over your face!
I have never used a mud mask before so I'm kinda nervous to try these but I definitely plan to. I'll probably make a pampering session out of it since I've been needing to give myself a pedi as well.
Playtex Baby - Binky Silicone Newborn Pacifier - Cloud & Fish - $6.25 
Available on Amazon for $6.13
You never know when you'll need a pacifier. While all babies are different, this tiny little thing can sometimes be a small miracle worker! Designed to imitate the shape and feel of a mother's breast, the Binky is a great choice for your newest family member.
I was incredulous about these at first because Minion has gotten to the point of refusing all pacifiers except his MAMs. The first time I put one in, he immediately spit it out. I didn't force the issue but tried several hours later and low and behold he's kept it in so far. It looks like time will tell on the success of these.

Priddy Books - Hello Baby Flash Cards - $8.00 
Available on Amazon for $7.19
These eight, double-sided, individually shaped flash cards are fun for little hands to touch and hold, and are collated on a ring for safekeeping.
This was the real highlight of this box. I immediately started showing the cards to Minion and his eyes were glued to them the whole time. I like to point out the different shapes and colors to him. This was the first time he was so transfixed by a book (if he catches a look at the TV, he's glued) so it was extra fun to show these to him. I definitely see us using these a lot over the next couple of months.

Overall Impression for May: The retail value for this box was $54 ($58 from Amazon) which is pretty great for having spent $9. It was disappointing to get stickers that we won't use and I wasn't as in love with everything as I was last month. But I think it was worth the value and I'm sure we will get our use out of everything else.

This was my last box in my subscription and I don't think I will renew for a while since I'm still not convinced in paying the full $25 every month. But I can see myself ordering a box from time to time as a special treat for Minion when he gets a little older and will personally appreciate the products more.

Have you gotten any good subscription boxes lately that you can recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment