Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Ideal Bookshelf

Ideal Bookshelf 138: SLS
A couple days ago I read Apartment Therapy's post on the the amazing Jane Mount and her special project call Ideal Bookshelf. I was blown away! How could I, the extreme book and art nerd, not stumbled across these amazing pieces sooner?
I new I had to have my own ideal bookshelf! But of course I do not have the $250 to have Ms. Mount paint me one herself. So in walked my digital graphics skills. I would just have to digitally "paint" my own ideal bookshelf.
 Of course choosing the books was no easy feat. But I kept in mind what Jane says about picking "books that changed your life, books that made you who you are.... think of this project as an intimate form of portraiture; a way to illustrate who the subject is on the inside instead of out."
So I made my list and I dug out the copies I owned and scoured the internet for spine pictures of the others (also not an easy task!). About 12 hours later (spread across 2 days) here is my very own soul portrait...

click to enlarge
My shelf consists of:

  • The Bible which is a the most important aspect of my life. 
  • The Outsiders - being the first book I ever read straight through and made me bawl! This book brings me so many memories and links me to several friendships that have since died. Don't you just love this cover redesign by Mikey Burton?!
  • Just Listen - my all time favorite book. Just thinking about it brings me chills.
  • The Giving Tree - my favorite book (like many others) from childhood. A moral story that resonantes with me no matter how old I get.
  • One Red Paperclip - this book reminds me of how others have accomplished their dreams despite what the status quo says and that it's not that hard to do after all :)
  • Mixed: Portraits of Multiracial Kids - as a multiracial child myself and a future mom of multiracial kids, this book touches so close to home for me and is so beautifully put together. (And unfortunately it hasn't made it's place as permanent addition to my physical bookshelf so great gift idea *wink*wink*)
  • Black Beauty - this was one of my dad's favorite books as a kid and one of the ones he held onto and gave to me. So not only is it a great story but it reminds me of that bond I have with him.
  • Give a Boy Gun - the number 1 best book for high schoolers OF. ALL. TIME. This book should seriously be required reading for all 9th graders. Maybe it could actually save a few lives then.
  • The Journey is the Destination - my favorite high school art teacher shared this book with me in 10th grade and it honestly changed my relationship with art and how I approach my career!
  • Friends from the Other Side - I have had this book for as long as I can remember. My mom's cousin wrote it and my grandma gave me this copy. I would read it all the time as child and after I moved back to their home town I was able to appreciate the story so much more.
  • Creative, Inc. - The most helpful book I have read yet in running my own business.
I have already made a list of children's books with the help of Luke that we would want to keep and give as baby gifts. Just have to find the time to create that one as well. Considering adding these digital paintins to my etsy shop and even offering custom ones. Would anyone be interested in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment