Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mohops: The Perfect Shoes

Like any red-blooded woman, I LOVE shoes. I have far too many and yet I always have trouble resisting buying more. But the fact of the matter, is that I find myself wearing the same 5 pairs over and over again. Why?
The easy answer is, I have problem feet. Basically I have a lot of skin sensitivity issues and it's the worst on my feet. Because of this my feet are seriously discolored and scarred. Basically it comes down to a few basic rules:

  1. I cannot wear any shoe that has stitching along the toe area of the insole or else I will get blisters.
  2. I cannot wear shoes that have an ankle strap unless said ankle strap is made of very soft fabric or leather or else I will get blisters.
  3. I cannot wear closed in shoes without pantyhose or socks (which I hate) or else I will get blisters.
  4. My feet are the first spot on my body to get hot so I prefer to have them "breathe".
  5. The older I am getting, especially now pregnant and with impending motherhood, I just can't wear high heels anymore without a serious platform.
So these rules really limit the shoes I can actually wear for any prolonged period of time. This means I pretty much live in flip flops. The kind with the leather or bamboo sole though and not those rubber ones because those cause issues too. But as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I also dress up a lot and flip flops aren't appropriate. Living in South Texas is nice for the reason that I can get away with sandals 98% of the time but my non-flip flop options are kinda ugly.

I've found one non-grandma looking sandal that works for me while desperately looking for replacement shoes in Paris because the only pair I packed broke mid-flight. Thank you H&M for making comfortable all elastic strapped shoes!
The only problem with these is that the cloth covered rubber sole hasn't held up very well and I doubt will last me through another summer :( At $20 a pair, I actually considered stocking up on a bunch and having them for future seasons, but they are only sold in stores in Dallas and I haven't gotten around to picking any up.
But then as I was reading one of my favorite frugal-living websites, I read a post about the single most versatile shoe, the Mohop. Now the original Mohop Bespoke is custom made to your foot and costs around $400. While I love the idea of having a shoe that would literally fit like a glove, I just can't justify spending that much money. 
But then I was delighted to learn they have a ready-to-wear line called Moped and they are a fraction of the cost but still amazingly comfortable. And the winning point of these shoes is that they feature these loops that you lace various ribbon and fabric ties through. This means you can tie them in any way you want and in any color/pattern for an infinite number of options. You literally can have one pair of shoes that goes with everything you own!
I fell in love with the Mid Wedge Slide in Walnut which can be bought directly through the site or on Etsy for the same price. 


While I love the High ones in the first photo above, I think the 2.5" heel will be far more practical for mom life and I like that I can dress them up or down to wear with pants or dresses.
I've already started collecting tying ideas in my own Pinterest board, and getting excited about making my own ties from pretty fabrics and lace and ribbons.
At $144 (minus an Etsy gift card from my Aunt *smile*), they will still be the most expensive article of clothing I have ever bought outside of my wedding dress (and still a close 2nd). But I actually plan to use the purchase of these to completely downsize my existing shoe collection which is in an obnoxious tub right now. And I know these will be my absolute go-to shoes for years to come. Plus with a money back guarantee, I have nothing to lose.
The only thing keeping me from ordering a pair right this second, is that I want to wait until closer to the end of this pregnancy to make sure my foot doesn't change size. I'd hate to shell out that kind of money only to be able to wear them for a couple months. Ah if patience wasn't so hard for me :-/
Believe me, once I do get my hands on my own pair though, their will be lots of photos of all the ways I figure out how to tie them :)
Anyone else own a pair of Mohops, Mopeds, or Mokobos? What do you think of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment