Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Craft, Inc. vs. Creative, Inc.

vs. 
As a small creative industry business owner, Craft, Inc. and Creative, Inc. by Meg Mateo Ilasco were at the top of my "to read" lists. But my big question before buying each was whether they were different enough to merit reading/owning both books or if they were interchangeable.
So last summer, I decided to carve out the time to read one of them. Since my business started out initially based on my graphic design education and background, I picked up purchased Creative, Inc. since it was marketed to creative service providers.
And I loved it! My copy is filled with highlighter marks and notes in the margin. While it covered a lot of basics I knew and had done it educated me on new concepts and motivated me to look for better ways of organizing and expanding my business. I was 100% satisfied with it and it was a quick and easy read too!
So after my great success with Creative, Inc., I didn't know if Craft, Inc. was really a necessary read for me. Wouldn't it just be a lot of the same information as in the other book?
So I waited. Well since I was going to have 2 weeks of limited interent access I figured it was a perfect time to bite the bullet and order Craft, Inc. I am so happy I did! :)
While Creative, Inc. was inspiring and informative, it dealt with a lot of topics on licensing your work. Something my area of design doesn't apply too. Since my business now focuses primarily on a physical product or goods (wedding invitations), Craft, Inc. was exactly what I needed. Every chapter had a special new nugget of information and I felt so ump started that i am already seeing the benefits of reading it in my work.
So of course I recommend both books whole-heartedly. And like the title's suggest they really do apply to different areas of the art industry. But if your business combines both products and services, than definitely read both! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment