Monday, February 4, 2013

Purchase History: January 2013

I cannot believe we are already into the second month of 2013! O_O That beginning of a new month means taking accountability for the previous month for me. I have really been enjoying this project, but it definitely adds a new layer to shopping when I have to keep track of what I actually bought for myself this month that wasn't necessarily essential.
When I started my first Purchase History 3 months ago, I mentioned that I got the idea from Modern Eve. Now that I am 3 months in, I can really identify with this statement she made last month.
"I’ve been participating in this little experiment for 5 months now, documenting and publicly sharing all of my non-essential purchases. I have to say, it’s still completely nerve-wracking, much more emotional than you might think. While it’s superficial and materialistic, there is something truly intimate about where we spend our financial resources. It’s one thing to highlight a roundup of my favorite sweaters from across the world wide web, but it’s quite another to show you which sweater made it into my closet because of the swipe of my credit card. Sharing my priorities when it comes to make-up, music, fashion, bakeware and home accessories sets me up as an easy target for many things, the scariest of which is judgement."
Those words are so true. Every time I list an item in my Purchase History I think "What will people think of me buying this?" This can be a scary thing but then it also adds an element of self-censorship that isn't completely bad. When I know I have to announce that I bought something, I think harder about if I really need to buy it or if I even should. It reminds me of a large part of my religious beliefs... "All things are lawful; but not all things are advantageous." - 1 Corinthians 10:23
When no one knows what you buy for personal reasons it's easy to buy whatever you want or do whatever you want. Even if you are aware that Jehovah knows, it's easy to disregard what people might think. But when you open yourself up to that judgement from others it forces you to live a more accountable life. To live a less materialistic life. I'm finding it helps me focus on needs and practicality.
In light of that, sometimes I might explain a purchase. Other times I might not. But I myself will always know that there was a good reason behind what I decided to spend my money on each month and that I did so with constant frugality in mind.
So this month I bought the following:


Notebook from CTS // Embroidered Sheet Set from CTS // Sheer Sail Boat Curtain Panel from CTS // CoverGirl Outlast in Faint Hue & Port Pout from CVS// CoverGirl TruConceal in Shade 4 from CVS // Almay Intense i-color Volumizing Mascara in Midnight from CVS // Shadow Box for Memory Bank from Michael's // Everyday Sling in Caramel Latte from Seven (This is not an indicator of any baby bump news... I snagged it for free and will be using it when watching friends' babies and for my hope chest) // Blanken Shower Caddy from Ikea // (4) Tekla Dish Towels from Ikea // PlayStation 3 (160 GB) from Best Buy (Although it could be considered a purchase for Luke, we do both use it) // LedBerg 3-piece light set from Ikea // Ordning Cutlery Caddy from Ikea // Bygel 21" Rail from Ikea // Bygel S-Hooks from Ikea // Pruta Food Containers from Ikea // Etón FR160R Microlink Self-Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio with Flashlight, Solar Power and Cell Phone Charger (Red) from Amazon // (2) MDF boards plus cutting service for new headboard from Home Depot // SuperSlide Closet Rod & Hanging Accessories for new Closet from Home Depot


This includes all clothing, accessories, home decór, craft supplies, make-up etc. This list does not include food, toiletries, household cleaning supplies, gifts, items for Luke, bills, fees for personal services, travel expenses or business expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment