Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What's In My Kelly Moore Bag? & The State of my Business

I love What's in my bag? posts and I especially am loving this one I am doing right now. For a really long time I have been wanting a purse camera bag. You know one of those gorgeous ones that don't look like camera bags from designers like JoTotes, Epiphanie, or Kelly Moore. I have wanted one so badly that for years I entered every single giveaway one of these companies has offered, to no avail. And despite my coveting, I just couldn't justify spending over $100 on a bag I would use exclusively for a small part of my business.
Well a few big changes have been taking place here lately. For starters, I have been really itching to revitalize my business in some way. Since we moved to the Rio Grande Valley, the photography side of things kinda just dropped off because I wasn't inspired to focus on wedding photography anymore. I wasn't motivated to market something that felt so far away from where I was in my life at that point.
I had been tossing around the idea of focusing more on children's photography because they are my favorite sessions to shoot. And then I got pregnant and the idea bloomed. Being a mom and spending time around kids is where I am at now in my life. And I have always loved having my life and work closely connected. So with some number crunching and lots of research, I decided it was time to invest in my career as a photographer.
This meant a few things... 1) I needed to join the 18mp camera era. It was time for me to invest in a new body. 2) I needed to get on the studio bandwagon. While I still adore natural light photography, babies need to be in controlled environments. So it was time to invest in a light kit. 3) Studio and posed shoots also mean fun props, so I needed to start buying and making the kinds of props I love on Pinterest. 4) I need to streamline my process. Create a way to maximize the amount of money I can earn in the limited time I will have as a WAHM. 5) I needed to market myself and my business in fun innovative ways.
The last few weeks have been insanely productive on all those fronts.  I scored an incredible deal on a Canon T4i bundle direct from Canon during their Black Friday sale. I bought a light kit and a green screen system. I have started collecting amazing props and even am creating a studio space in our beautiful newly remodeled living room. (I have my first shoot in it next weekend and can't wait to share behind the scenes pics!) I have been taking every kid's photography related CreativeLive course available. They have taught me so much about how to setup my pricing structure and what product samples to stock and offer. This means that I have finally finalized my photography website complete with new pricing menus. I've also invested in time-saving tools from people far smarter than I am like Vol. 25 when she ran her 60% Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. That investment got me so excited that I figured out my first mode of marketing which is to offer a free Bluz Book (what I call my mid-range albums) with every session. I am so excited about the templates I have to offer and I am so in love with my album binding company that I cannot wait to get my maternity photos and Minion's newborns in these albums.
Feel free to print your own certificate if you want to book a session with me and take advantage of this great deal.
Plus I have some really fun new mom gift bag marketing ideas that I hope to have up and running by the middle of the month :)
Anywho all this leads me back to the subject of a camera bag and what's in mine... As I said up top, I couldn't justify the costly investment for an occasional use bag. But as Minion's arrival gets closer and closer and I've started looking for diaper bags, I knew I wanted something that could be all-in-one. I don't want to have to carry several different bags, but I'd rather have everything in one place. And the thought of that one place also holding my camera sounded incredible.
So I researched and researched and decided on the brand Kelly Moore. I was torn between the 2 Sues and Juju bags. But at over $200 neither were really a practical option. But I kept searching and it turned out that someone was selling her 2 Sues bag on ebay. It was in fantastic condition, had no reserve, and was a beautiful neutral color. So I stalked it and was able to snipe it at the last second for more than 50% off that original retail cost :D
Well my bag came in last Thursday and I'm loving it! It is so roomy without being obnoxiously big like the Juju had me worried about. The construction feels really solid and I am looking forward to putting it to the test. I have already started using it as my primary bag and will just rearrange things on Minion's arrival. I also love that it could work as a great travel bag.
So without any further delay, as promised, here is what's in my Kelly Moore bag?
Right now I'm carrying (with tons of room to spare):

  • Snacks
  • Tums
  • Business Cards
  • SD Card Reader
  • Canon T4i w/ 18-55mm lens (not pictured)
  • Car Phone Charger Adapter
  • Keys
  • Gum
  • Blotting Tissues
  • ipod
  • Phone
  • Pens and Highlighters in a case
  • Lotion
  • Pure Vanilla Spray for mosquitos
  • Epipen
  • Wallet Stuff
  • Passports
  • Checkbook
  • Coupons
One of my favorite features about this bag, is the built in wallet. I've rocked the wristlet wallet for over a year now and while it's handy for running in and out of stores, I know that I won't be able to carry it as easily once Minion is here. So I love that everything I need will always be right there in my bag and will be securely affixed to my hip :)
So is anyone else experiencing career revolutions or coveting a new bag?

No comments:

Post a Comment