Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Purposeful Conception

So if you're paying attention, you would have noticed my Purposeful Conception badge on the sidebar. Now before anyone starts getting the idea that Luke and I are actively trying to have baby NOW, let me address this topic and bring awareness to an amazing program.


For starters, a baby is not in our future for a good 5 years. However, when we have said baby, I want to be fully prepared and ready to handle any unexpected situation. I also want to immediately implement montessori principles in educating our infant. I'm still navigating through the parenting techniques we plan to do or not do and that's partly where this blog comes in. 


Parenting Techniques I Like:

So how does Purposeful Conception come into play with all this. Well it is an e-course that was written and developed by Sara Cotner - the wife behind 2000 Dollar Wedding. In planning my own budget wedding, I fell in love with Sara's blog and hearing the latest in her past wedding planning process, life as a wife, and experiences as a montessori teacher. Because of her age, her and her husband, Matt, decided to have a baby within the first couple of years of marriage. But Sara first spent an entire year researching by "reading books, attending birth fairs, watching documentaries, meeting with a midwife, and blogging about the process." So she developed the course to share what she had learned in a consolidated program.
She describes the course as: "Preparing for pregnancy is a holistic process that touches in all areas of our lives. This course honors the multifaceted nature of conception and pregnancy by addressing a wide-range of issues. The general categories include--but are not limited to--nutrition, exercise, mental preparation, prenatal vitamins, conception as a life stage, stress reduction, finances, your relationships, and biological considerations (e.g., menstrual cycles and sex). This course does not purport to take the place of qualified medical advice and treatment. I will merely share the information I have learned (citing sources wherever relevant)."

I can't even begin to say how much I have learned in the last 3 weeks. It has provided me with an amazing list of topics to consider long before even contemplating getting pregnant. I especially loved the budget breakdown of the average cost of pregnancy and the first year of a babies life. I was fortunate enough to be one of the six winners that Sara chose to participate in the course for free. I am so happy that I chose to enter that contest because I feel this course has really helped solidify our 5-year plan and the things we want to accomplish before starting a family. 

But if you are contemplating starting your conception process soon or even if you are just curious like me, this $99 e-course is totally worth it. You'll have 7 weeks to complete the 25 daily lessons and the Purposeful Conception community forum will always be open to you. That's one of the things I'm most excited about keeping up with as the years progress and the women who I have met through this course begin their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment