Friday, August 5, 2011

Our New Sofa

no not really... just a new look to it. Remember me mentioning that my mom helped me recover our old couch so that we could ditch the irritating slip covers. Well, I finally finished the throw pillows and can share pictures :)
Here is the before picture of our couch. It was very comfy but a bit dated. What can you expect from your college boy cousins hand me down ;)


It had been a good 25 years since my mom had reupholstered a couch, so it took both our brains and a little trial and error to establish a proper action plan. Once we did, the deconstruction began...
Yes that is a curtain rod and swiffer handle holding up the back cushion. I should mention that before we tore up the back of the couch, we laid out our new batting and foam to cut to the sizes we wanted.
It only took us one evening and a lot of that time was spent on hunting for staples for my antique guns to eventually buying a new electric staple gun. When all was said and done, though, I really loved the new shape and look!
And here it is all dressed up with new throw pillows and some crocheted pillows and an afgah my grandma made me :)
Doesn't it look awesome? And now for the story about the pillow fabric...
When we went to pick out fabric, I found the couch material at this high end upholstery fabric store but got a great deal because it was on clearance ($8/yd I believe). Well while we there I wanted to find some really bold fabric for the pillows. That when mom and I spotted a tiny remnant of the above fabric hanging on a roll of a similar on but with a different pattern. I instantly knew that was what I wanted. Unfortunately the store was completely sold out and couldn't give me a definitive price on how much it would be to order more. They just kept trying to push the similar fabric which I didn't like as well. Now of course the wouldn't tell me the name or brand or any other info either, so that I couldn't go order it form elsewhere.
Well proved them wrong I did. It took at least an hour and all sorts of color, shape, style descriptions to track down the fabric in google. But I finally hit the right word combo and saw my beautiful fabric on page 1 of google images. Hoorah!
But the bad news was that only 2 stores on the entire internet had some in stock and both had it listed for $25/yd. I'm sorry but that was a little rich for my blood. I kept searching though and found a craigslist ad from Jackson, TN for a roll of 6 yards. I immediately responded to it, and sure enough the super sweet lady still had it and would ship it to me. 
Half a week later, I had 6 yards of my dream fabric for only $75 with shipping! Can you say sweetness?
Since the pillows took little over over a yard, my plans are to find an old cool looking chair to recover part of with the rest of this fabric and some of this crocodile suede.




No comments:

Post a Comment