Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Geek Girl by Cindy C. Bennett

Geek Girl by Cindy C. Bennett
Cedar Fort (12/8/11)
ISBN-10: 1599559250
ISBN-13: 978-1599559254
YA Audience
280 Pages
Buy Here for $15.19
My Rating: 5/5


Summary from GoodReads"Think I can turn that boy bad?" 17-year-old Jen turns her life upside down when, out of boredom, she makes a bet that she can turn school geek Trevor into someone like her. Instead, the goth girl finds herself sucked into his world of sci-fi movies, charity work, and even-ugh!-bowling. To truly belong with him-and with her new foster family-she must first come to terms with her violent past.
The Verdict: One part She's All That, two parts Big Bang Theory, stir and chill. That is my perfect way of describing this delightfully touching and funny story. Every character has depth and real life emotions that endears you to them no matter their flaws.
The character of Jane who isn't introduced until the last few chapters is a bubbly sweetheart who constantly reminded me of BBT's Bernadette. From her very first line, I was wrapped up in her charisma and wanted nothing more than to have her as my best friend too.
Bennett created such an endearing and fun story that felt just like the classic teen movies of the late 90's/early 00's. While Jen is a girl with a bit of edge, her growth and development from troubled teen to responsible young adult send the perfect message to young readers. This is the kind of story that knocks it out of the park for me and made me enjoy every line I read :)

I was provided a review copy of this book by the publishers. All opinions are 100% mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment