Tuesday, January 8, 2013

72 Hour Survival Kit

So I have been aware of the necessity to have an evacuation kit for a while. And I really do understand the value of one since we did have to evacuate due to Hurricane Dolly in 2008. Despite that, I have never made any effort to compile my own kit and have it ready :-/
Well last week I came across this site and got motivated. I like how she breaks it down into a 6 month project so that you don't get too overwhelmed or break the bank. She also listed things you need that I probably never would have thought of but they really do make sense.
I started by grabbing my old high school backpack. I just recently bought a new one for traveling so this one was perfect for this purpose. I then went through every week on the site               and gathered and organized the things we already had. Thanks to my recent couponing sprees, we had a good chunk of items already.
I then went through and picked out the items that we needed, found the versions I wanted, and created an anticipated budget. All in all, it looks like we will need to spend $250 to finish our kit. But I don't plan to finish it until June 1st when hurricane season starts since that is the main thing we should be prepared for. So I just need to budget for $50 a month to complete our kit.
Here is what we have on hand all ready:

We have (2) 5 gallon water jugs in our kitchen at all times. We can fill them within .5 mile from our house for $3 pending electricity so if we have 10-30 minute warning, Luke will run up and fill them.
  • Orange Backpack
  • 2 Metal Bottles
  • Benadryl
  • Cash to fill (2) 5-gallon jugs
  • Water flavor pouches
  • (1) Scott's 1000 Roll of Toilet Paper
  • Feminine Products
  • (6) Bamboo Skewers
  • Hand Sanitizer
  • 72 Hour Deodorant
  • Lotion
  • Tooth Paste
  • My Wind Breaker
  • My Tee
  • Various Gauze and large bandages, tape, ointments, Advil, tweezers, medical scissors, 
  • Dish Towel
  • (6) Top Ramen
  • (6) Tooth Brushes
  • (100) Various Sized Bandages
  • 2 Pairs of underwear for me
  • Scissors
  • Cell Phone Charger USB/AC
  • Utility Knife w/ extra blades
  • Clip Light
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Soap
  • Extra Glasses
  • Razor w/ sample shaving cream
  • Playing Cards
  • Luke's Tee
And here are the things I plan to purchase over the next few months to finish out the kit:
Have you compiled a 72 Hour Survival kit yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment