Monday, November 18, 2013

My Decision to Birth with a Midwife

The biggest controversy in my pregnancy so far is my decision to use a midwife for my prenatal care and delivery. While I appreciate that most people are being well meaning and coming from a place of love and concern, some of the reactions and comments we have received have been less than kind.
As background, both Luke and I were midwife babies. I was my Mom's first and only baby, Luke was his Mom's second child but first via midwife. Growing up my Mom always spoke fondly of her delivery choice so midwifery was something I was always open to. In fact it just seemed like the option that made the most sense to me.
As I got older and learned more about labor and delivery, the more appealing a home or birthing center birth sounded. For me the main attractions to midwifery were:
  • Freedom of labor position and mobility - I like knowing that I will call the shots when I'm in labor. I trust that my body will signal and seek what is most comfortable for me and I just need someone to help facilitate that.
  • Minimal interventions - studies show the more interventions you introduce to a labor the more complications you risk. Not having that as even an option on the table removes the temptation.
  • Better infant-mother bonding - since a home birth or birthing center doesn't have a slew of hospital regulations to follow, you get to be the first person to bond and hold your baby. Plus our birthing center keeps the umbilical cord attached for at least 5 mins after birth which doubles the blood volume our baby will start with.
  • One on one care - I love the fact that when I'm in labor I'm going to be the lady in the spotlight. Not 1/100 who just happens to also be delivering that day. There will be no rush because my doctor's shift is gonna end soon. No rotation of nurses who I've never met before.
These were just the beginning motivations for my choice. Wednesday I'm going to share some of the negative comments we've fielded so far during this pregnancy. And how those comments have helped convince me even further in my decision to try to have a natural birth.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is my first comment. Hi!
    I think it's wonderful you've chosen a midwife, and don't doubt it's the right path for you. However, most of these points are wrong. Barring complications, you are able to move around and choose an alternative labor position, you can dictate in advance no painkillers/epidural even be offered to you, have immediate skin to skin contact, and nurse immediately. The only slightly accurate point is the rotation, but as far as I know and have experienced, your labor nurse is there the entire time. It's nighttime/recovery nurses who come and go.
    Again, I have nothing against midwives or home births or birthing centers whatsoever, but these are common misconceptions about hospitals.
    Also, midwives are paid for their services, they're in the business too.
    There seems to be a lot of fear mongering on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! Thanks for your comment! I totally agree that wonderful birth experiences can be had in a hospital. But as someone who has lived around the country, I can attest - as I'm sure you'd agree - that not all hospitals are created equal.
      I am not confident in the medical system HERE, where I live nor do I like their labor and delivery policies. I made my decision as a person who has dozens of hospital employed nurses in my family so I'm not anti-hospital. But for my son's birth, it's not the place I want to be.
      And your argument about both being business-minded is flawed :-/ This article talks about my local hospitals and their high costs: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande. My midwife does get paid but it's $6100 max (less if your insured) whereas my friend's insurance was billed $75,000 for a normal no-complication birth at Doctors Hospital at Renaissance.

      Delete