Monday, January 6, 2014

6 Android Apps to Replace Traditional Daily Planners

On Monday, I explained my transition away from the daily planner to exclusively using my smartphone. A few huge pros for me have been...
  • I can organize different aspects of my life separately.
  • I can set reminders so I don't ever miss a deadline.
  • Everything I need to know fits in my pocket and is always with me.
  • Everything backs-up so I won't lose precious info.
  • I can sync my info across several platforms to be able to check on things virtually anywhere.

Now here are the apps that have made this transition so easy:

1. Scheduling - Google Calendar

This is my number 1 lifeline. Not a day goes by that I don't check it. I love that I can schedule events, appointments, and deadlines indefinitely in advance. I can create repeating events and set audio reminders that force me to check it. Plus being integrated through Google means I can view it on any Web-enabled device. If I put in the address for an appointment it automatically creates a map link for me to click for directions.

2. Note Taking - Evernote

This helps me keep track of ideas and lists. I can organize each note by notebooks that have specific categories and I get to title all my notes for quick reference. Plus the search tool makes finding something so quick and easy.



3. To Do Lists - Task Free
This simple app works as a running to do list. When I think of something I need or want to do, I just type it in. I can even rearrange the list by order of priority or actual chronology. And when I accomplish each task, I just tap it to mark it as done.


4. Work - Timesheet
This app is great for keeping track of what work projects I have going on, what I've done for each, and how much time it has taken me. Being self-employed, having a tracking system like this is vital.

5. Field Ministry Report - Ministry Assistant

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses and a regular pioneer, keeping track of my monthly hours and stats is necessary. I love that this app was designed with that purpose in mind. It does everything I could ever need and I love the time tracking features and one-click reporting option for the end of the month. Plus the fact that it integrates with my calendar to create RV reminders means I've tossed out my traditional callbook as well.


6. Menu Planning - Big Oven
This service has changed the way I prepare meals. I love that I now have all my recipes in one place and I can pop them into a menu plan for the week right from my bed. Then I can easily create a grocery list based on the called for ingredients. The setup time was extensive and every few months I do have to set aside time for adding new recipes but the weekly convenience of this app has been crucial.

So there you have the highlights of what has replaced my old paper planner. Of course, as specific life events come up, I have used other apps that help but these are my daily go-to's. You've got to love the convenience of modern technology.

What apps do you use to make your life easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment