Monday, February 17, 2014

5 Minute Car Makeup Routine

For the last 2-1/2 years, I routinely do my makeup in the car. Now I am no makeup application expert and tend to prefer a more natural look, but my crazy skin issues mean I can't just go without makeup like I could in my teen years. Since I cherish my sleep in the morning, I have worked to finally hone my getting ready time to as quick as possible. Since Luke and I go most places together, this means I can do my makeup while he drives.
Before I get in the car, I do have a 15 minute prep routine. This usually consists of (having showered the afternoon/evening before), plugging in my 1/2" curling iron, brushing my teeth, using a Simple Cleansing Facial Wipe on my face, and a blend of TimeWise® Age-Fighting Moisturizer Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30* with Home Health Moisturizing Cream, Hyaluronic Acid followed by Mary Kay® Intense Moisturizing Cream. Now that my curling iron is hot, I run it through the top layer of my hair and fluff and set it with Paul Mitchell Super Clean Spray. If I need a shower, then that adds about 20 mins to my prep time with blow drying my hair and I replace the cleansing wipe with TimeWise® 3-In-1 Cleanser (combination/oily).
Once all that is done, I just grab my travel makeup bag (my makeup stays in this at all times since I never know if I'll have time to do it at home or not) and run out to the car.
Now the fun begins...
Before I got pregnant, I would just use a powder foundation but all the blessed new hormones mean some major red splotches. So I start with Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector B.B. Cream in Medium/Deep as an all-over primer. I love the added spf this provides and that it really gives my skin a nice even tone.
Now I use the Baby Kabuki brush from this EcoTools MINERAL 5pc Make Up Brush Travel Set to apply Almay Wake-up Hydrating Makeup in Beige all over my face in a circular motion. As with the BB Cream, I like to work this down my jaw line into my neck so that there is no weird transition line.
Next comes the blush. I find this step to be crucial for making my face look like it has natural contrast again instead of being one all over color. But in keeping with the natural look, my favorite blush is the now discontinued Wet n' Wild Silk Finish 171 Threesome. You can still occasionally find it on ebay and I stocked up on a whole bunch last time. I ended up taking 3 packs of it and breaking it up into an old loose powder jar I had. This gives it the perfect shade and I love applying it with the Mineral Powder Brush also from the EcoTools set.
Now that my foundation is set, I move on to my lips and eyes. For my lips I just apply a coat of Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm or Burt's Bees Radiance Lip Shimmer.
For my eyes, I start with a light application of Maybelline New York Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black right on the inside of my lower lids.
Most days, I don't apply any eyeshadow but for meetings (our religious services) and other special occasions, I will take the extra few seconds to do so. 
I love this Almay Intense I-color Smoky-i for Browns palette and use the remaining two EcoTools brushes to apply it. I also use an angled Mary Kay eye brush to dab a bit of the brown over my eyeliner for a softer look and the Mary Kay Eye Crease Brush for the purplish color.
Before I put my glasses back on, I finish the look by curling my top lashes for 10 seconds each and applying a coat of Maybelline New York Volum' Express One By One Washable Mascara in Very Black to the top and bottom lashes.
When I'm done, if I feel my lips need a bit more color, I will apply one final coat of Covergirl Natureluxe Gloss Balm in Sandstone 265.
I know it might seem like a lot of steps when broken down but honestly this routine only takes me 5 minutes and I love the results.
It might be a bit too subtle for some, but for me it's the perfect amount of makeup and time spent to achieve the look I like :)
What does your daily makeup routine look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment