Wednesday, February 29, 2012

DIY Ombre Hair Tutorial

I have been marveling at all the pretty ombre dye jobs that are oh so popular right now. This really appealed to me because my hair grows so fast that my dark roots always show. So I decided to bite the few dollars and try to ombre dye my own hair before paying a salon for this look.
I am quite please with how the results turned out. I was wanting something subtle and and this technique worked perfect so I wanted to share :)
I started by running up to CVS and picking up a couple of boxes of all-in-one hair dye. Since my hair was already dyed a lighter color than my natural roots, I decided to get a dark color to match my roots (Brown Black) and a lighter color for the tips (Golden Ash Brown). This came out to $6.50 and I figured I couldn't beat the price.
Then it was off to the bathroom with my supplies...
Materials:

1 box Brown/Black Dye
1 box Golden Ash Brown Dye
Saran Wrap
Hair Clip
Conditioner treatment - I use the L'anza Hair Repair set to keep my hair from getting damaged.
Before
Step 1 - Prepare and apply the dark dye to your roots and crown of your head. Keep your tips dry.

Step 2 - Cover the crown of your head with saran wrap.

Step 3 - Prepare and apply the light dye to your tips.
Step 4 - Wrap the bottom part of your hair with more saran wrap and then clip it all up to prevent dripping.

Step 5 - Wait the appropriate amount of time as indicated on the boxes. I waited 25 minutes.
Step 6 - Rinse all the dye out until the water runs clear and wash your hair with your conditioning treatment.
Step 7 - Style as desired!

It's that easy :) I love how it turned out. The crown portion of my head and the strands framing my face are dark and the rest is more reddish-brown. The tips are even a little lighter. I know this photo doesn't do it justice so I will try to get a better pic on a sunny day when my hair is actually styled ;)
What do you guys think of my results? Anyone else try to DIY ombre dye their hair?

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to die my hair this kind of ombre on tuesday and this helped me alot. I really needed a good ending result to calm me down, and this cooled me down completly because it's really good. my hair is way longer then your's and im doing this, so do I just die the top part of my head black/dark brown.. and the other half of my head the other color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gianna! It depends if you want just the two tone or have a gradient. I like a more gradual transition so you would do the brown black on your roots and then a few shades lighter than your natural color on your tips. Let me know how it turns out! :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much and i will be getting it on thanksgiving weekend so i will inform you and tell you how it turned out.

      Delete