Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Windswept

Photo by Tina Lowry
East of Sulphur Springs off I-30
So if you haven't paid attention to the news today, the DFW Metroplex got slammed by as many as 12 tornadoes today. Now I don't check the weather everyday so when we left our house around noon, I had no clue anything was brewing.
We made our way to Rockwall to run errands and shortly after reaching our 2nd destination my friend's mom texts me about the tornado warning. I of course had no clue what she was talking about and figured we were far enough east that we were ok.

So there I am looking for a Memorial dress in Ross when everyone starts getting phone calls. The same thing... out of area friends concerned for their safety. We chuckle it off, because when was the last time tornadoes traveled that far through our area?
To the fitting room I went, and then Luke called saying he was coming in because people kept texting him about how bad it was. By the time I finished the tornado sirens had started and I was getting scared. But soon they stopped and we decided to move on to OfficeMax. Well they were closing bc of the weather so we ran across the street to Home Depot to seek shelter. The sirens had started again and the manager told everyone that they would lock the doors and we could hang out in the break room.
We stayed there about 10 mins. Once we heard the storms were traveling north of us, we decided to head west to my grandparents. And there we stayed for hours until the weather past.
Every part of the Metroplex was hit. Fortunately none of our family were severely affected. One touched down 1/2 mile from Luke's grandpa and he actually heard and saw it. Baseball size hail broke through my uncle's windshield while he was driving. And our journey home was slow and arduous due to debris along the way. But we were fortunate.
My heart goes out to the family that weren't so :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment