Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Blog, Inc. by Joy Deangdeelert Cho

Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community by Joy Deangdeelert Cho
Chronicle Books (September 19, 2012)
ISBN-10: 1452107203
ISBN-13: 978-1452107202
184 pages
All Ages
Buy Here for $11.53
My Rating: 4/5
Summary from GoodReadsWith roughly 95,000 blogs launched worldwide every 24 hours (BlogPulse), making a fledgling site stand out isn't easy. This authoritative handbook gives creative hopefuls a leg up. Joy Cho, of the award-winning Oh Joy!, offers expert advice on starting and growing a blog, from design and finance to overcoming blogger's block, attracting readers, and more. With a foreword from Grace Bonney of Design*Sponge plus expert interviews, this book will fine-tune what the next generation of bloggers shares with the world.
Learn how to: - Design your site
- Choose the right platform
- Attract a fan base
- Finance your blog
- Maintain work/life balance
- Manage comments
- Find content inspiration
- Overcome blogger's block
- Choose the right ads
- Develop a voice
- Protect your work
- Create a media kit
- Leverage your social network
- Take better photographs
- Set up an affiliate program
- Partner with sponsors
- Build community
- Go full-time with your blog
- And more!

The Verdict: As a long time blogger, I wasn't sure how much I would learn form this book. But I am a firm believer that there is always more to learn and as creative professionals we should always admit that we learn from our peers. While I'm really happy with the state of my blog these days, it is not prefect so what little tid bits can I learn to make it better.
Since Blog, Inc is part of the Inc series of books that I have enjoyed so much, I figured it was the perfect book to turn to for blog inspiration. While most of the info in it was not new to me, it definitely lit a spark under my butt and got my creative juices flowing on a bunch of new blog ideas. Plus I did learn some exciting things like...
  • Expensing items bought for posts and review on my blog
  • Writing a business plan for my blog
  • Creating a Media Kit to sell ad space and sponsorship
Plus I loved what a fast read this was. I was able to finish it in a day and while it might not have been mind-blowing informative to me, I think it is a great book for anyone just considering or breaking into blogging. It isn't super detailed but provides a nice broad over-view of blogging for newbies.
Can't wait to read the next book in the Inc series, Mom, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment