Thursday, April 11, 2013

Starting an Exercise Routine and Progress Update

Me at 11 - one of the last time
I wore shorts since I still had toned legs
I used to be a dancer. Have I ever mentioned that? I did it for 4 years and loved it but quit when I was 11 and realized I wasn't good enough or liked it enough to be a professional and didn't want to waste my parents' money anymore. But I can easily say that was the healthiest time of my life. I exercised regularly every week and actually enjoyed doing it. And then I stopped.
I never enjoyed exercising again after that. I enjoyed dancing but I felt like a fool doing it by myself at home.
Well this week I decided to get over that. As part of my 101 in 1001, I wanted to get into the routine of exercising at least 10 mins 3 times a week. I know that isn't much but for Ms. Sedentary-me over her, that is a big deal.
The timing is perfect for me to start implementing this routine since we only have a couple more months before Europe and lots and lots of walking. In my current fitness condition, I know that there is no way I could handle all that so I need to get into shape fast.
I have decided to start by utilizing a little routine I have worked up. 3 times a week (preferably Tues, Wed, Fri) I will dance for 15 minutes. I am using this video to warm up and cool down. And using Pandora's Club/Dance station for my songs. I like it because each session is unique and it works out to only about 4 songs.
But even then I am exercising at a high intensity level since my heart rate has been in the 160/170's. That means diet-wise, I am burning 3 points worth every time I do my routine. The other benefit is that I have been feeling it help the aches and pains I get in my back and neck. 
I have been tracking my sessions using the Simple Workout Log app. The name says it all and I like that it will help me track my progress.
Tomorrow will be my 3rd session for the week and will help me complete a successful first week of my routine. I am excited to incorporate this into my weekly schedule and make it a way of life.
Also I owe you guys a recent progress photo...
That is me a few weeks ago at 18 lbs down. I have since lost another 4 more and that dress no longer fits me. I will do another update photo after another 2 lbs when I'll be the same weight I was when I first started dieting at 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment