Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Baby Names I Love

I love the idea of naming our kids after family. I myself was named after my great-grandmother and have always taken great pride in carrying that badge of honor with me where ever I go. But like my parents did, I like the idea of modifying the name to be unique and individual to our children.

Here are a few of my current favorites for our future little ones...

Boys:
Jaughn Sidney (pronounced like John for every firstborn boy on Luke's paternal side, spelled like Vaughn for my dad, and Sidney for Luke's maternal grandfather)
Gaeric William (following the tradition of "ric" ending names on my paternal side and William because it sounds cool and there were a Wilhelm or two on my German side)
David Anthony or David Allen (David for Luke's dad and Anthony for my maternal great-grandfather or Allen for my paternal grandfather)

Girls:
Jackilyn Helene (Jackilyn for my grandma Jacqueline and Helene for Luke's paternal grandmother)
Margaret "Maggie" Aida (Margaret for my paternal great-grandmother and Aida was the name of one of my maternal great-grandfather's sisters)

A long running boy name on my maternal side is the Spanish name Pedro which just so happens to be one of my favorite English names, Peter. Unfortunately naming our son Peter, given our last name, would directly associate him with a certain comic book super hero. Although I still argue that if Peter was his middle name and he hated it, no one would have to know, but if he was cool with it, then he could totally rock it. I think I might have won Luke over with Joseph Peter.

Luke is really pushing for Molly just because he likes it but it doesn't fit with our whole "family name" thing so it would definitely have to paired with a family inspired name. The problem is which one? Here are a few other family inspired names we can play off of or use with Molly:
Norah
Caroline
Cara
Christie
Christine
Everly
Cherilyn
Marie or Maria
Dante (for a very cool boy)

I would also love to honor my maternal grandma but need help thinking of pretty modern variations of Dominga.

Are we completely crazy for talking baby names when we are still 5 years out from having a baby?

1 comment:

  1. OMG I FREAKING LOVE EVERLY. What a beautiful, beautiful name. And you are so not crazy, lol. My husband and I figured out our baby names waaaaay before we ever started trying to get pregnant. And now we have a Lily!!

    ReplyDelete