Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Montessori Child Bed

So while writing my Penelope room decor post, I realized I never talked about my adoration of the Montessori child bed on here. Instead of writing a whole new post here, I will share an email I sent to a friend who is expecting twins. As a note, their family ended up loving the idea too and will be using these in their nursery :)
"So this may come across as completely random but I wanted to share something I found interesting about nursery ideas...

I have been doing a lot of research and studying in the Montessori Principles of education, partly for future parenting purposes and partly b/c I'm considering pursuing a teaching career in that sort of environment. Anyways, although I have been familiar with the Montessori method for a while I just learned about the "child bed" this past summer. Since Montessori is based on creating independent children who learn from exploring their environment, cribs are not encouraged. I know that must sound crazy! But it suggests using either a crib mattress or a regular futon mattress directly on a carpeted or soft rug on the floor. Of course the same safety precautions of very fitted sheets, no blankets, etc apply but this way children have the freedom of mobility and exploration of their rooms on their terms. And because the average crib or futon mattress is only 3-6" off the ground, there is really no falling hazard. Of course this means making sure there's nothing near the floor level that could injure the child but I've found the long term benefits to be amazing.
By opting for a floor bed, not only do you have to worry less about rushing in, in the morning to take them out of the crib or worry about the safety hazards of cribs themselves, but the bed literally grows with the child. Parents who have used futon mattresses, can just move their kids to a futon bed when they are old enough, which of course equates to financial savings.
I don't want to come across as "offering advice"or anything especially since we're not parents yet... lol... but I figured this was probably something you've never heard of either and wanted to throw it out there. I have done a lot of research on the topic, and Luke & I are completely sold by the idea. I just figured it's something to consider while you guys are running through all the big parenting decisions that you must be facing.
Here's a couple links that explain the "child bed" way better than I ever could :)
Ok I just wanted to share :)"
Anyone here ever use the child bed? What were your experiences?

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I just skimmed through this post the first time I saw it but I've came back a couple times and read through it and the links and did some more looking into it. I love it! I'm so glad you posted this. I really love the basic concept of it all! Since we're in the "thinking" about having babies stage we talk about all sorts of things including the future nursery. We both love this! Thanks so much for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete