Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen

The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen
Bethany House Publishers (January 1, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0764204807
ISBN-13: 978-0764204807
416 Pages
Buy Here for $9.67
My Rating: 5/5

Summary from GoodReads:
LILLY HASWELL REMEMBERS EVERYTHING --- WHETHER SHE WANTS TO, OR NOT...
As Lilly toils in her father's apothecary shop, preparing herbs and remedies by rote, she is haunted by memories of her mother's disappearance. Villagers whisper the tale, but her father refuses to discuss it. All the while, she dreams of the world beyond --- of travel and adventure and romance.
When a relative offers to host her in London, Lilly discovers the pleasures and pitfalls of fashionable society and suitors, as well as clues about her mother. But will Lilly find what she is searching for --- the truth of the past and a love for the future?
The Verdict:
This book was a pleasant surprise that was irresistible to put down. Lilly is a strong female character that makes an excellent role model for today's young girls.
It is rare to find books that cover so much detail without dragging in plot. But The Apothecary's Daughter had the perfect pace. The plot twists were so unexpected and while I knew who my favorite suitor for Lilly was, it was hard to predict how it would end.
My favorite part of the book is that it was clean and I would be comfortable recommending it to young readers. This is also rare to find in a book that are not overtly religious. All in all, this was a delightful period piece that I would definitely recommend :)

I suspect this was a digital review copy I received at some point. I found it in my kindle account and have no clue where it came from. Thanks to the sender though! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment