Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Our 2nd Anniversary: The $25 Date


So Luke and I  celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary last Tuesday on the 29th. I knew I didn't want the day to pass without doing something special but living on a tight budget limited what we could do. I turned to trusty google for some date ideas and found a wicked sentimental and special idea for under $25.

My plan was for us to spend the afternoon geocaching around our region while stopping at different places related to our wedding. As we set off I gave Luke 2 envelopes, one labeled "For your sense of direction" since he has been complaining that his mental map is gone because of our move from Dallas. The second was entitled, "For what moves your soul." Each envelope contained a list, one of the GPS coordinates we would be going to and the other of our anniversary playlist.

As we found each geocache we took a picture and exchanged one item for a felt sunflower I hand stitched with our initials and wedding date since our wedding featured sunflowers. Our journey covered 50 miles and a dozen caches including a stop at our wedding bakery for cupcakes. 
Our final destination was our wedding venue where I laid out a picnic with a dinner that I copied from one of our honeymoon meals, Veracruz Caesar Salads with Diablo Shrimp. I gave Luke another envelope labeled, "For what fills you belly," and so he could read our picnic menu.
It was amazing to reminisce on all the good memories we had in that very spot 2 years before. At the end of the meal, we gathered the goodies we had collected throughout the day and placed them in our own cache which we hid on the venue grounds. You can even go searching for it yourself ;)
I did have a local photographer I found on craigslist take a few photos of us on our picnic so I can make our 2nd Anniversary photo book :)

The Budget breakdown was as follows...

Geocahce Supplies:
Mechanical Pencil = $.25
Sandwich Baggies = $2
1' Woodgrain Contact Paper = $1
Pencil Box = $1
Black & Yellow Felt = $1.50
GPS = on hand
Honey's Cupcakes = $3
Orange Crush = $1
Caesar Dressing = $2
Chili Paste = $1
Strawberries = $2
Shrimp = $5
Onion = $.50
Romaine Lettuce = $1
Bread = $1.50

Grand Total = $23


1 comment:

  1. ahh i wish i could've been to your picnic (and met you!)
    i'm glad you all had a great time and wow, you are creative!

    ReplyDelete