Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Road Trip Wednesday #135: How'd You Spend Your Summer After Graduation?

showing off my diploma and tassel since I didn't get to walk
I have decided to finally participate in Road trip Wednesday over at YA Highway this week. There prompt today is: How'd You Spend Your Summer After Graduation?
I absolutely cannot believe that my summer after graduation was 6 years ago O_O That really makes me feel old when I say that, and I KNOW I am not old!

My incredibly awesome decade themed graduation party

While I am an '06 graduate, I didn't officially receive my diploma until September. Since I was home schooling and only 16 at the time I decided to slowly work on my last couple books over the summer. My initial plan had been to graduate in June like normal and auxiliary pioneer all summer before signing up as a regular in September. Since I dragged out my schooling, I ended up just diving right into pioneering in September.
So my summer was like most school summers, I hung out with friends, went in service during the week, and did a couple of hours of homework a week. I think the most exciting part of it was when I went on my first flight by myself to visit family in Dallas and attend my cousin's baby shower.
NYC trip with friends that April
My first drivers license

I had also got my license that April, so it was the first summer where I could drive my friends around. Especially since I was the first friend of our immediate group to have my license. There were a lot of trips to Canobie Lake Park that summer :) And my license and pending graduation also meant that the group of kids just a couple years older than me started including me in their social circles.
Family NYC trip that October
That summer also brought my first out-of-home job. That May to September I worked 3 nights a week at Joann's Fabrics and Crafts. This helped me save up the money to not only have a social life but later buy my first car that December.
So not a super eventful summer but a definite memorable one to say the least :)
How did you spend the Summer after Graduation?

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Road Trip, Sebrina! I started university in 1988, so don't talk to me about feeling old!! ;) As a homeschooling parent, let me just say WELL DONE for finishing school at 16. Stories like yours are a real encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog after I read your comment on a site about homemade laundry detergent. You posted something about the full time ministry work. I wanted to say hello sister. My entire family attends the Ottumwa, Iowa congregation.

    ReplyDelete