Wednesday, June 13, 2012

One Moment by Kristina McBride

One Moment by Kristina McBride
Egmont USA (June 26, 2012)
ISBN-10: 160684086X
ISBN-13: 978-1606840863
272 pages
Ages 14 & up
Buy Here for $11.35
My Rating: 3/5
Summary from GoodReads
This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.
Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below—dead?
As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?
The latest novel from the author of The Tension of Opposites, One Moment is a mysterious, searing look at how an instant can change everything you believe about the world around you.

The Verdict: I liked the overall premise of the book but what it lacked for me was the element of surprise or unexpected. I didn't read the summary before starting the book, but I still knew exactly what was going to happen by the first chapter. I actually put my kindle down, looked over at Luke, and said I'm reading this book and I think this, this, and this is going to happen. And sure enough I was spot on when I finished it.
For me that is a huge disappointment. I like the suspense and mystery of not knowing what's around the corner. Of not knowing what, why, and who from the beginning. Maybe that was Ms. McBride's intention but it was just not my style. And maybe a less intuitive reader wouldn't be so disappointed.
What I did like about this book, that keeps me from giving a lower rating is the overall message. That life is made up of millions of little moments and whose to say how one moment can affect the rest of your life. Over and over in this book, each character faces the regret of the one moment they think may have prevented Joey's death. And most likely they are right, but in the end life or in this case his death was the sum of all those little moments and wrong decisions put together. When we think of life that way, it definitely affects how we view each decision we face.

I was provided a review copy of this book by the publishers. All opinions are 100% mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment