Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
HarperCollins; Reprint edition (October 25, 2011)
ISBN-10: 0061726818
ISBN-13: 978-0061726811
496 pages
Ages 14 +
Buy Here for $9.99
My Rating: 1/5
Summary from GoodReads: What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?
Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.
The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.


The Verdict: Literally the worst book I have read this year. After all the hype this book received, I was excited to finally get my hands on it from PBS. Let's talk about a let down.
I literally could not make it past the first 100 pages. Descriptions were so drawn out and dragged that I could not imagine reading another 400 pages.
Even worse there wasn't even a likable character to keep the story going. What is up with series like Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars validating awful female characters. This book truly lost me on page 81 where the main character justifies herself and says: "But before you start pointing fingers, let me ask you: Is what I did really so bad? So bad I deserved to die? So bad I deserved to die like that? Is what I did really so much worse than what anybody else does? Is it really so much worse than what you do? Think about it."
Why yes, yes it is! And before anyone starts harping saying "you need to keep reading. She's going to redeem herself"... I did skip ahead. I had to see if all this drudgery was going to be worth it. And it's not... I'm sorry but a lifetime of heartlessness, cruelty, and spoiledness is not cleared by one week of self discovery and one day of redemption. Real personality changes take a long time and I just don't buy that ending.
And let's completely excuse the giant sci-fi  plot hole staring us all in the face. In what universe does it make sense that when 5 people initially die, only one keeps reliving that day and ultimately it is fate for only one of them to die? Say what?
Interesting premise for a book, terrible execution and I regret wasting the credit and time on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment