Saturday, August 4, 2012

Unenchanted by Chanda Hahn

UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale) by Chanda Hahn
Chanda Hahn (December 30, 2011)
ISBN: 1475070306
225 Pages
Age 12 +
Buy Here for Free
My rating: 3.5/5

Summary from GoodReads: Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated, that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her newfound fame brings misfortune as an old family curse come to light. For Mina is descended from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business. Which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her its next fairytale victim.
To break the fairy tale curse on her family and stop these deadly events, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.


The Verdict: I debated between how high to rank this story. As we all know by now, I love fairy tales so when I saw this title in the kindle store for free, I immediately downloaded it. All in all, I really enjoyed it and bought the sequel upon finishing it. But in all fairness I will share the good and bad...
The bad:
1. The characters are very one dimensional but I don't totally hate this. See further explanation in the good.
2. There are several grammatical errors. Not enough to distract from the story but if you are a grammar Nazi this might irritate you. I view this as standard for self published books BC there is not as strict of an editing process.
3. I felt like Ms. Hahn pulled out every YA trope that is popular nowadays. There was the semi love triangle. The helpless protagonist. The brooding ethereal guy. The nurturing guy. Basically all the main characters could be replaced with ones from Twilight.
The good:
1. Taking my comments from bad #1 & 3, I could excuse these flaws because this book was short. At under 200 pages there was no time for long drawn out character descriptions. We didn't see that guy brood for 600 pages, we didn't see Mina pine and then mope for half the book. The story had to progress quickly and that's the number one thing I look for in books.
2. While Mina's character is rather helpless for most of the story it didn't seem pathetically so. I couldn't say I would feel any different in her situation and she did have a sort of mini redemption in the end. I am hoping to see that strength explored more in the next book.
3. It was a very original story that was hard to predict. While I suspected some parts, I still have no clue the role one of the characters plays.
So is it the perfect book. No. Is it a prefect summer read? For me, yes. It was exactly what I was looking for while being stuck at home sick and with a broken down car.

No comments:

Post a Comment