Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My Take on 50 for a Fashionista

So in no way do I claim to be a Fashionista but I do enjoy identifying my own personal fashion sense. I recently came across Chic Street Style's post on 50 for a Fashionista. I enjoyed reading through her list of must-haves and decided to share my commentary on the list ;)


The Clothes

1) A pair of dark wash skinny jeans - I just recently got to a point where I feel my body looks ok in skinny jeans and want a pair of these at my goal size. Have a polka dot dark wash pair now.

2) The chambray top - Don't have one yet. I would actually love something along the lines of this.

3) The sexy, skimming the ground flare jean - I have wanted a pair of these forever but haven't found the right pair yet. Anyone know what brand these are?

4) The perfect white blouse - I used to collect these in tuxedo style. Still have my favorite one but it's still a tad too snug  :-\ Waiting until my goal weight to see if it will fit before getting a new one.

5) The striped long sleeve - Love these! My old favorite has been retired to a sleep shirt after some wear tears but just bought a new one to replace it :-)

6) A black boyfriend blazer - Getting back into rocking blazers and in the market for a solid black one.

7) A pair of colored jeans - Recently bought a really springy coral colored pair. Updated them with some pretty lace too. DIY coming soon :-)

8) The LBD - it seems I have one of these in every size and occasion. My current go-to one has a pretty bodice ruffle detail and touch of lace.

9) The sexy leather (or in my case, minus-the-leather) jacket - Just got a new one of these in green :-)

10) A tweed jacket - Got one of these in a fun pink color with contrasting patterned lining. It's still a little snug but should be the perfect fit for next fall.

11) A jean jacket - Used to have a favorite one but have never replaced it since it retired. Might have to keep my eyes peeled for a new one.

12) A pair of cut off denim shorts - Not so much :-\ I am not a shorts girl but I would substitute this for a knee length denim skirt. I need to replace my favorite turquoise one that is getting way too loose.

13) A patterned skirt - I have a lot of skirts but this item reminds me of a really comfy black and white one I upcycled during 30.30.30.

14) The perfect white tee-shirt - Need to find one that is thick enough that I won't need a cami under it to hide my bra.

15) A great day dress - I have this amazing rayon maxi dress that I love for long service days or comfy days out.

16) A big chunky sweater - Not a fan of the added bulk of chunky sweaters on curvy frames. I'd much rather stick to light cardigans thank you very much.

17) A striped blazer - Mine isn't striped but I got this great paisley print one that is due back from the cleaners :-)

18) Black skinny jeans - Don't have the jeans but just got a pair of pants that are like a thicker legging.

19) A crew neck sweater - Actually just dug out a couple of my "skinny" sweater tops. They are short and 3/4 sleeved for Texas weather versatility and solid to go with more outfits :-)

20) The “I’m sexy and I know it” dress - This year's Memorial peplum dress fits this description. I love how skinny I feel in it :-)

21) A pencil skirt - I had several of these but I anticipate them being too loose soon so I may be in the market for a new one.

22) A pea coat jacket - Mine is a little longer than "pea" and is purple but I love it and it's totally me! :-)

23) A “fun” winter jacket - Winter is such a relative term down here. My most frequently worn coat is my hot pink trench that can finally button again and always earns many compliments :-)

24) Lets talk boobs. You need a strapless nude bra - Definitely need one of these. A good strapless bra has been an impossible quest for my full-figure girls :-\

25) A seductive bra - Not so much on the seductive side but I have finally found the best bras for me and stocked up on an arm load full of them :-)

26) The no-show underwear - Underwear in general is a sore spot for me right now. Since I've been in a transition of sizes, none of my old ones fit and I can't find a style/cut I am happy with. Hi-rise ride to high now since my belly is smaller but every thing else seems to cut in the most unflattering way on my tummy :-\

The Accessories

27) A black thin waist belt - I have actually been reconsidering my stance on belts here lately so I might need to keep an eye out for one of these.

28) A nude belt - I'm gonna just start with the black one for now.

29) A big (floppy) hat - I used to be a big time hat person until I had to start wearing my glasses (instead of contacts) 90% of the time. Now I find only knit beanies or headbands look cute with them.

30)A great pair of gloves - I love my vintage estate sale pair! From now on I will only go vintage since lady's hands were smaller back then and they actually fit me ;-)

31) An infinity scarf - Yes! Absolutely love the one I made last winter :-)

32) A red handbag - There was a time when I would only sport red purses. I've gotten away from that the last few years but I might have to consider picking another one up :-)

33) A black or nude tote - I don't use dainty purses but something more along the lines of small luggage. So I can usually fit everything I need or pick up in my bag. Plus I have tons of reusable totes for anything extra.

34) A cross body bag - I need a new one! I've had several different ones over the years but really could stand to get a nice new one. Actually on second thought, if I could find my old Kenneth Cole black leather one, I would be set. Wonder where that is stashed?  :-\

35) A clutch - I have a couple but I am much more into the wristlet wallet these days that can also hold my phone. I'm really wanting one that has a long strap that I can wear cross body when shopping. Maybe something like this one?

36) The perfect watch - I go through phases of wearing and not wearing a watch. I definitely need a new one and am still digging the white style from a couple years ago.

37) Stackable rings - I actually have a long-term goal involving stackable rings. I want to get a thin micro pave band for each child we conceive and then wear them all stacked together :-)


38) A pair of diamond studs - I love me some diamond studs and have a couple pairs. But no matter what I do, I just can't wear earrings. It doesn't matter the metal, after 30 mins I get the most mind-splitting headache that I have to take them off. I'd really like to find a clip on pair I could wear though.

39) Pearl studs - see above.

40) A chain necklace - I have the perfect vintage one that an old "old lady" friend gave me. I love wearing it with other long chains, doubling it for a shorter look, or wearing it long and solo :-)

41) Layerable bracelets - I have a whole collection of these that I break out from time to time.

42) Sunglasses - Despite being very cheap when it comes to my sunglasses because I always lose them, I am also very particular. They have to be oversized. Like cover my eyebrows big. And they have to have true black tinted lenses. No color, no brown or I'll get a headache. And I especially love a white frame :-)

43) A major cocktail ring - I have this great chunky 70's gold and garnet number my Grandma gave me as a little girl. I love busting it out from time to time.

The Shoes

44) The black pump - I found a great pair last year. I had the same amazing pair for like 7 years until they finally wore out. But I like my new ones nearly as much. They have a cute rounded toe (timeless to me) with a wedge heel.

45) The “oh-so boho” chunky wooden platform - These are my absolute favorite pair of dress shoes (my sweater clogs win in all around)! They are the perfect blend of strappy and chunky with top straps in varying shades of brown so they go with everything.

46) Strappy Sandals - While I have lots of sandals, there's only one pair that is truly strappy. It's all white and by Carlos and not practical at all but oh so cute.

47) The ankle bootie - I hate most ankle booties. There have been a few exceptions but they lean more to the chunky wedge side anyways. So needless to say not a player in my wardrobe but I would be open to a pair like these.

48) The black (knee-high) boot - I have been absolutely dying for a pair of these but can't justify the expense when the actual use I'd get out of them is so little. It will be a must-have when ever we move North.

49) The ballet flat - While I have flats, I'm lacking in the trendy ballet category. I have a friend with a totally enviable collection that always makes me want to run out and buy more even though my feet like to breathe.

50) The nude heel (or wedge for more casual lifestyles) - Definitely want one of these. I'd like a patent pump but it hasn't been a huge rush since my aforementioned chunky sandals read as nude on my tanned skin  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment