Wednesday, July 10, 2013

7 Rules to Packing Light on Extended Trips

Just a few days ago, I came across this Packing Guide on Pinterest. I was so bummed I didn't find it before our trip because that would have really helped me pick out what to pack. As it was, we packed and unpacked at least 6 times to fit within the 26 lb carry-on limit we had. I ended up packing very light and had I had a better idea of the weather in Latvia, I could have swapped some of the warmer stuff I took for lighter, cooler items.

Anywho, I definitely plan on using this guide for all future packing. As I read through it, I was able to summarize it into the following rules...

Packing Rules:
  1. Choose 3 Neutral colors (White, Beige, Navy, Black, Brown, or Gray)
  2. Select 1 top + 1 bottom + 1 complimentary top or bottom in each neutral color
  3. Select a trench style jacket
  4. Select a neutral dress (preferably a little black dress)
  5. Now choose your non-neutral pop of color (This can be a color family with varying shades)
  6. Select 2 tops + 1 bottom + 1 topper (cardigan) + 1 dress in non-neutral color
  7. Select compact coordinating accessories to stylize your outfits
Ideal Breakdown:

    • 2 Toppers (1 Jacket, 1 Cardigan)
    • 7 Tops (3 Tanks, 1 T-shirt, 2 Blouses, 1 Sweater)
    • 5 Bottoms (1 Short or pencil skirt, 1 Skirt, 1 Pant, 2 Crops)
    • 2 Dresses (1 LBD, 1 Statement Dress)
    • 2 Scarves (1 colorful & gauzy, 1 solid & warm)
    • 5 Shoes (2 heels, 3 flats)
    • 1 Purse
    • 1 Swimsuit (pack 2 if you’re a real beach bum)
    • 1 Pair of Sunglasses
    • Jewelry (3 Necklaces, 1 Bracelet, 1 Watch, 1 Ring, 4 Pairs Statement Earrings, 4 Pairs Stud Earrings)
As I looked through my wardrobe, I was able to make the following selections:
  • Beige (Polka Dot Tee + Herringbone skirt + Polka Dot Jeans)
  • Black (Black Blouse + Black Pants + Black Lace Top)
  • Grey (Grey Tank + Grey Pants + Silver Jacket )
  • Pink Trench
  • Grey & Black Dress
  • Green Family (Green Lace Top + Teal Tank + Green Floral Skirt + Aqua Sweater + Hawaiian Dress)
  • Accessories (Teal Swirly Scarf + Teal Pashmina + Brown Sandal Heels + Black Suede Wedges + Black H&M Sandals + Black & Nude Sandals + Navy Flip Flops + Black Cross-Over Purse + Swim Dress + White Sunglasses + Long Gold Necklace Chains + Travel Bracelets + 3 Rings + Teal Clip-on Earrings + Teal Hair Flower)
  • Undies & PJs
According to the guide, I should be able to create 3 weeks worth of unique outfits out of these. I decided to do 6 days worth without duplicating any articles.
And as the top photo shows, everything fit inside my carry-on, which is a major deal to me. The risk of having to check our luggage on the way to Latvia was a huge cause of anxiety for me. Fortunately, we didn't have to and I was even more thrilled we didn't when a lot of the delegates we met did lose their luggage. I never want to check my luggage again unless it is an absolute necessity. And now with these rules, I should never have too. Plus this means I can take a smaller suitcase on our 2-week Summer & Winter trips to Dallas.

No comments:

Post a Comment