Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Attempts in Fighting Chub-Rub

{source}
If you are lady with skinny thighs that have a gap between them, then this post will not be applicable to you nor will you be able to relate to it. But if you are like me, then your thighs like each other so much that they rarely separate. In fact, no matter how skinny I have ever been, my thighs have always been BFFs. Because of this, I daily suffer from a phenomena known as chub-rub.
Chub-rub is really just a nice way of saying chafing which can be so painful and miserable for frequent skirt wearers that by the end of the day I can barely walk. Because of this, I started wearing shorts under my skirts about 5 years ago. Since I didn't want to add unnecessary bulk, I would take leggings and cut the legs off. It wasn't until 2 years ago, that a friend introduced me to the concept of shorts slips.
These worked great! And then we moved to South Texas. and the fact that they were polyester became unbearable. My legs would get so hot and sweaty that something had to change. I did some research and found a cotton version.
These worked really well for a while but now have gotten too big with my weight loss. Plus wearing bloomers under all your skirts and dresses isn't too attractive. Even if no one else see them, they can dampen your self-confidence :-/
So when I heard about Bandelettes on Little Chief Honeybee, I knew I had to give them a try. They are very cute and shipping was super fast. I was so excited to give them a good try and wore them the first time, the day after they arrived. That day they worked great!

It was only a couple hours, so I wanted to try them out a few more times before making a decision on what I thought. Well I figured our 3-Day District Convention would be the perfect test.
Day 1 - They felt and fit great but as the day progressed, it felt like the top of one leg was starting to curl. It never slipped but the curl made me nervous. I also discovered the weird sensation of going to the bathroom. Since they sit so high, you feel like you still are wearing something when you start going, so I kinda panicked at first. But maybe that's just me. Also I wished they were just 1 more inch longer to really cover everything.
Day 2 - I hand washed them the night before and in the process, discovered that a small hole had already formed in the lace from them rubbing against each other all day. Also the lace was starting to pill and ravel on the edges. This was a bit disappointing. But I went to put them on again and realized that underneath my fitted knit skirt, they made me look like I had a terrible case of cottage cheese leg. So it was back to the shorts for that day.
Day 3 - I decided to give them another chance, but as I put them on, it became clear that no matter what I did, that one leg kept curling. It would stay up because of the bottom silicon, but the top edge rolled a good half inch. I have no clue why but it would still do it even when I flipped it over. I wore them anyways and they did stay up all day even though I kept having to try to roll that edge back up. But at the end of the day, when I took them off, I discovered 2 more holes that were at least nickel size and 1 quarter size one. This is very upsetting when I had only worn them 3 times and they are literally disintegrating.
In the end, I really love the idea of these and the initial fit! But they aren't 100% there yet. When I spend $15 on something, I expect it to last longer than a handful of uses. I feel like the issue is in the lace and that a solid knit fabric should be used. This gave me the idea to try to make my own so we'll see how those turn out.
Hopefully Bandelettes will notice these issues and figure out a fix themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment