Friday, October 12, 2012

Adorable DIY Baby Gifts

J&J are full time ministers like me and Luke, so when I was deciding on their baby shower gift, I knew I wanted to make Baby Ethan something that would fit his mommy & daddy's spiritual lifestyle. Of course pinterest helped me find the adorable idea of velcro bow ties and a onesie. I thought they were too cute and they weren't that hard to put together. Plus I love that they are completely machine washable, since we  all know the messes babies love to make :)

I had so much fun making these, that I have actually added them to my Esty shop which you can link to in the sidebar.
My second gift though, is what actually takes the cake.
I made Ethan an abridged copy of the My Book of Bible Stories (published by Jehovah's Witnesses) out of fabric. I came up with the idea based on my own book that my mom made for me as a baby. She copied and laminated her favorite stories and sewed them into a pretty quilted book that we still have to this day and I plan to use with our kids.
In this case, I found some white cotton fabric that I cut to 8.5x11 and ironed onto freezer paper. This let me run it right through my printer and then I stitched it all together.
While Johnny loved the ties, Jackie loved this little book and kinda teared up when she opened it. I had told them about mine a long time ago and she had been wanting one so it ended up being the perfect gift.
What types of gifts do you guys like to give for new babies?

No comments:

Post a Comment