Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder: Book One in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
Feiwel & Friends (January 3, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0312641893
ISBN-13: 978-0312641894
400 pages
Ages 12+
Buy Here for $10.98
My Rating: 5/5
Summary from GoodReadsHumans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
The Verdict: One word... Amazing! This is such an incredible book from the cover down to the last page.
That cover... it's the best design I've seen this year. Minimal, beautiful, excellent typography, and a perfect representation of the story and inspiration. One thing kept nagging at me though until I finally remembered what it reminds me of.
{source}
The dangle off the "C" is so Charlotte's Web. I don't consider that a bad thing, because good designers should always snag inspiration from old classics. And it adds to the childhood wonder of the whole book.
We all know by now how much I love my fairy tales. I am sure you guys are sick of it by now O_O But this is such a beautiful, original retelling. I think it's on the top of my favorite retellings of the classics. I mean a futuristic cyborg Cinderella! Come on! Who would think up such a thing?
And Ms. Meyer did such a wonderful job in writing this debut book. It truly excites me to see new authors who put so much craft and artistry into their work. I literally could not put this book down and every time that I did, I was counting down the minutes until I could continue it.
I first started reading it in the 5 chapter preview available on Amazon. I was so hooked it wasn't even funny. I was dying to read more that I almost broke down and spent the $10 to instantly download it on my kindle (not a good move for our budget conscious family). Fortunately I held off and the new McAllen Library had a copy I could request. I am so happy I didn't buy the kindle version, because if I do decide to add this to my bookshelf, I want the hardback version so I can look at that gorgeous cover :) Can you say design envy?
Not sure if you guys can tell how much I loved this book by my eager review here, but you seriously need to read it for yourself! This series has me geeking out like a 12yo school girl! I cannot wait for the next in the Lunar Chronicles to come out in February!

No comments:

Post a Comment