Tuesday, September 4, 2012

WhimseyBox Review

When I first heard about WhimseyBox, I was very excited about the whole concept. I knew it was the company I wanted to go with for my first subscription box purchase.

Unfortunately, they didn't live up to their gorgeous marketing.
For starters, I signed up on June 23rd. Based on their shipping policies, I knew I wouldn't get my box until the end of July. But as the month rolled around and I was contacted to write a review even though my box never came, I knew something was up. I even told the rep that I hadn't received my box yet, and she apologized saying she thought everyone had for the month. That was all I got as far as customer service goes. So I waited.

Then August rolled around and still nothing. Mind you we don't get mail delivery here, it's PO box only. So it's not like my box is getting stolen or something. Finally, it came... at the end of the month. But mind you, this was the August box. Oh, and they had already charged me for September's... So I had paid $45 before even receiving my first box.

Before I even realized this though, I was just so excited to open my box and see what was inside...

I had been sent friendship bracelet supplies. While I actually do wear some daily, I get mine made by children around the world. I want them to have more meaning than I just making them myself.

That aside my kit only had 2 skeins of floss in colors I had literally just bought 2 weeks before for $.54, a generous amount of ball chain, and a foot of thick gold finish chain. While the chain is a very nice quality, I can't help but feel ripped off for being sent stuff that costs $7 max. I felt like I paid $45 for a very pretty disposable box and instruction card.


I ended up contacting customer service regarding my missing box. I asked for a refund of the two months which I didn't receive a box or a box sent to make up for July. While the reply was cordial and they said they'd issue a refund (which has yet to happen), the whole mix up was totally dismissed by the fact that they are only a three-woman operation. Even though on the owner's blog, Dismount Creative, she talks about their small startup supposedly now outsourcing all packaging and shipment. Which gives me an even worse taste that box shipments got overlooked. Especially when you combine that with the fact that the boxes are now $25 each.

I really hope WhimseyBox steps it up or else they will be a waste of a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment