Monday, September 17, 2012

Savings Goals: European Vacation

{source}
So I mentioned not too long ago that one of our savings goals with Luke's new job is to go to Europe. I initially just put the goal figure of $3000 on that trip. Luke thought this was a gross under-estimate, but I wanted to at least have some figure to work towards in the meantime.
During my most recent library haul, I picked up 4 books on budget European travel. I have barely started on the first, Let's Go 2009 Europe (Let's Go: Europe), but have already found it very informative.
This lead to the conversation on where in Europe we would want to go. Of course I want to see everything. But realistically we'd only have a couple weeks to go. Luke said he'd really want to see the United Kingdom. Based on that I created this initial itinerary:

  • Dublin - 3 days
  • Edinburgh = 3 days
  • London = 4 days
  • Giverny (Monet's Estate) = 1 day
  • Paris (The Louvre) = 2 days
That being said I also jumped onto TravelZoo to get an idea of how much airfare would cost if we were able to book during a special. I was excited to find a London, Dublin, and Edinburgh package on sale right now. From past travel research, I know that the cheapest places to travel to the UK from are NYC or Boston. Boston is the obvious choice for us since I used to live up there, and have a lot of friends in the area.
Well this package is for this winter, which isn't going to happen but it gives us the idea of traveling during Luke's winter break next year. It includes all international and regional flights between countries, 6-nights of hotels, and all travel taxes for only $1,810.32 for the 2 of us. Of course we'd still have to pay to get to Boston.
That got me thinking about combining our New England and European vacation goals. We are planning to save $1000 to go to New England next year and if we combined the 2 goals that would give us $4000 for one big trip. I hopped over to Expedia and did a little search. If we drove to Dallas, and flew to Boston the day before or the morning of our London flight, RT airfare with taxes would be $532.80 for both of us.
We wouldn't have to rent any hotel rooms in Dallas or New England because we have family and close friends to stay with in both. So after the $2,500.60 total airfare and hotel costs we'd still have almost $1500 to spend on food and fun during our 2 week trip.
I think that is pretty awesome and totally worth it! It's fun to see how we can make this goal a reality and definitely boosts me to continue saving and planning so we can get there :)
What travel goals are you guys working towards?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds totally doable and like you're getting a great rate! We'd love to go to Europe but with a five year old I think we'll wait until he's older. Meanwhile we'll be visiting CT sometime in the next 6 months. At this point I'd be happy to go anywhere but here just for a change of pace! :)

    ReplyDelete