Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My Art Collection

Craft Your Stress Away by Joy Kelley
#10 under Creativity on my 101 in 1001 is to "Collect art." As an artist myself, I have always had a strong appreciation for art. Ever since I was a little kid I have loved surrounding myself with beautiful pieces. I remember begging my parents to take me to the Monet (my then favorite artist) exhibit at the MFA when I was 9. When my dad surprised me with the trip, we spent the whole day just marveling at the wall size paintings.

Well right now we don't live in a house that is big enough for me to collect wall size painting nor do we have the funds for original works. But I am collecting little prints from my current favorite artists. It has been working out that I have bought a piece for myself each month. And by taking advantage of shop sales, I have been able to snag each one for under $20.
Bell & Howell by vol.25
I actually got my first piece about a year ago and it stood alone in my office. After seeing the movie Catfish, I was genuinely impressed by the work of Angela Wesselman Pierce and knew I wanted one of her prints. Her shop seems to be down now so I am happy I ordered mine when I did.
Art by Angela Pierce
I also used to swap artist trading cards (ATCs) back in 2008. So I picked my favorites from that stash to include in my collection.
ATCS by Katie Vlasov & Debra Leach
Helga by S.L. Scheibe
My two latest pieces will be the largest so far and are by Rachel Corcoran out of Ireland. I just ordered them and cannot wait for them to arrive. 
Indecisive & Moby Dick by Rachel Corcoran
I am especially excited about the Moby Dick print since that was one of the books my dad read to me as a little girl so it is very dear to my heart. 
I haven't worked out how I am going to display all this art yet. But that is actually another to do item for my list as well :) I would love to have a wall of matching frames like John & Sherry from Young House Love. I'm wanting to get the frames for as cheap as possible and then just paint them all black to match so I will need to keep my eyes peeled for good deals.
Does anyone have any recommendations for some artists I should check out?

No comments:

Post a Comment