Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Power of a Good Jacket

There is one thing that always makes me feel wicked awesome when I wear it. A good jacket.
This is probably why I own far too many jackets for someone living in south Texas where it only gets below 50 degrees for a cumulative two weeks out of the year.
But growing up in new England that wasn't an issue. Jackets were a way of life.
My love affair for a good coat dates back to my early teen years when I got my first two favorite jackets. The first was a fur cuffed denim bomber jacket that looked straight out of the 70's. I bought it at a hole in the wall clothing wholesaler in the fashion district of NYC. I wore that thing out until it had holes in the pockets. I also had a matching denim purse and my best friend gave me the superhero name Denimyte. That same year my grandpa gave me my late grandma's black fur cocktail coat. It was pea length and totally amazing in a 70's disco way. Are you noticing a common thread with my fashion sense at 13?
Fast forward a couple years and few more amazing jackets entered my life. First there was the fitted navy corduroy jacket that was so cute on me. Then I snagged a vintage double breasted cream wool coat at an estate sale for a quarter. This was at the pinnacle of my Jackie O phase and I loved that I could wear it with a regular folded down collar or buttoned all the way up to my chin. That same spring I made another trip to the fashion district and got a true Jackie O cape that I still wear to this day. 
Another big player around that time was my green suede jacket. I felt like such a rock star in that jacket. I wore it everywhere until the fateful day when chili got spilled on it :-( It still sits in a box in storage though because I can't bear parting with it.

More recently there has been two leading jackets in my life. My purple wool coat that always makes me feel like Penelope and my pink trench. These coats make me feel stylish even when the rest of my outfit isn't so hot.
One of my Kohl's snags a couple weeks ago, was a new casual jacket. A green fitted leather jacket fit for a movie star. It makes me feel exactly how that suede one did and I am totally in love. When I am shopping around town in it, I feel like the woman every one is staring at, envying her style. And that is a great feeling to have.
What makes you feel great when you wear it?

2 comments: