Saturday, December 15, 2012

Project 30.30.30. - Day 13

 Today I got to do a refashion using my "new" sewing machine for the first time! :)
Back in the summer, my father-in-law, JD, asked me if I wanted his late mom's sewing machine. I had one at the time but said sure so that it would stay in the family. Well for honesty sake, I never even took it out of it's case. I had my own after all and I really had no clue how an old machine works.
Unfortunately my machine died a couple months ago. I immediately wanted to buy a new computerized one but in the interests of our budget, Luke encouraged me to wait and just use my mom's. He argued that I didn't sew enough to justify the expense. That was true.

But then I started this project and have been sewing everyday for 2 weeks using my mom's machine (which is nice) but is in her hot, un-airconditioned or even fan cooled sewing closet :(
So I started window shopping for a new machine. I almost bit the bullet on Black Friday but then I remembered that machine JD gave me.
It needed some cleaning up and I needed a crash course from my mom on how to use it. We finally got around to it last night and despite being a model from 1959 is still works like it's brand new. It's super quiet, makes beautiful tight stitches, has a reverse stitch, and even has fully working decorative stitches. Now that is a quality machine!
Mom & Luke playing mechanics to get it up and running again
So that brings us to today and my latest refashion. Well remember that $1 kids tee I got at the SA Goodwill. I bought it for a collar which you will see my plan for later in the month.
With the rest of the tee, I decided to make a lace accented infinity scarf inspired by this beauty. I simply cut 2 strips of equal width off the tee, sewed them together and added the lace between them. I think it looks very classy and can't wait to wear when we head up to Dallas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment